Founded in 1921 as the People's Educational Camp Society, Tamiment was conceived as a 20th Century version Chatuaguas. Distinguished thinkers from major colleges here and abroad visited Tamiment to lead discussions. The gifted guests, including Columbia University professors and Curtis Institute of Philadelphia musicians, staged their own theatrical experiments.
By the 1930's Tamiment was notable not only for its summer guest list but for a series of extrordinary spring conferences. One such conference gathered Deans of most Ivy League colleges to plot the course of higher education in the United States. Tamiment had a small, excellent library which is today housed at New York University and known as the Tamiment Library.
The first Tamiment buildings were made from Tamiment trees, shaped by a Scotsman from Haverhill, Mass. by the name of Alexander Hamer.
Tamiment is named for a small lake, the mile-long Tamiment, which in 1921 was identified on local surveryors' maps as Pond Number Two. Pond #1 was on the neighboring estate of Unity House, owned by the International Ladies Garment Worker's Union.
Pike County was established in 1814. It is named for Colonel Zebulon Pike, a hero of the War of 1812 and later discoverer of Pike's Peak in the Rocky Mountains. Pike County has a rich and varied history. A few examples follow.
The Delaware River Valley was once an important source of timber for ship building and other uses of lumber. The mast for the U.S.S. Constitution (better known as "Old Ironsides" and today berthed in Boston Harbor) was cut near the village of Mast Hope in the 1790's.
Timber rafting on the Delaware was started in the 1760's. Logs were fastened together to make a raft, a long steering oar was mounted, a two man crew put aboard, and the raft was floated downstream to lumber mills in Easton or ship yards in Philadelphia. The last timber raft went down the river in 1917.
By about 1900, the Delaware Valley ran out of timber. Virtually all the trees had been clean cut. The resulting loss of forests led Gifford Pinchot to develop what is today the U.S. Forest Service (at his home, Grey Towers in Milford).
The Delaware and Hudson Company operated the D&H Canal from 1827 to 1898. The canal ran from Honesdale to Kingston, NY and linked the coal fields of Northeastern Pennsylvania with New York City. Originally the canal crossed the Delaware River at Lackawaxen. The crossing was often hampered by ice jams, high water or timber rafts. In the 1840's John Roebling constructed a suspended aqueduct for the canal over the river. He later used the same suspension bridge design in construction of the Brooklyn Bridge. The Roebling Bridge at Lackawaxen is the oldest suspension bridge in the United States and today carries automobile traffic over the Delaware.
Pike County is administered by an elected Board of County Commissioners. The county seat is located in Milford.
Lehman Township is a community encompassing some 49 square miles located in the southern tip of Pike County. The Township was officially incorporated in 1829. This area was originally home to the Lenape Indians. In the 1740's Dutch settlers established the village of Bushkill (located near present day blinker light on Route 209). Bushkill was an outpost on the frontier at the time of the French and Indian Wars in the 1750's and was the site of Fort Hynshaw.
In the late 1800's numerous hotels and boarding houses were built as early vacationers came to this scenic area. Resorts stretched from the village of Bushkill to present day Tamiment. In 1901 the railroad came to Bushkill, making the area more accessible to visitors. After World War I, the coming of the automobile led to the end of the railroad.
In the 1960's the area around the village of Bushkill became part of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, a unit of the National Park Service.
Lehman Township is administered by an elected Board of Supervisors.